Sunday, January 23, 2011

Update

Dear Abigail,
Oh my little precious spittin' image of your Daddy but act just like your Mommy... Well, you just HAD to prove me wrong, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU?!!! So, as you are very aware, and as noted in the last post, potty training was, well, not fun, at all. And I begged and begged for your school to be open on Tuesday so they could at least give it a "go" (ha, no punt intended...) and so it was, just opened a little later. So, Mommy went to the school to drop you off and went into this long speech (I often extend stories a little beyond the necessary, I admit) about the whole weekend and how you just held it and held it and how I was so frustrated and just didn't know what to do, etc. etc. Your teachers assured me that we'd all figure it out and to just be patient, etc. etc. Well, I went home and waited on the phone call. Sure enough, the phone rang literally 2 hours after I dropped you off. TWO HOURS. Ugh, I at least thought you could make it to lunch! So, with hesitation, I answered it, only to be completely thrown off guard. Miss Amy called to update me that you had gone, on your own might I add, TWO times in the potty, no tears, no hesitation, nothing. Just decided you needed to go, so you went. WHAT?!! What happened to torturing me and Daddy for hours on end??? I asked if they had the right Abigail and they assured me things were going smoothly. So, I waited for the end of the day to get the 'real' report, and sure enough, not a single accident, not a single tear, you went several times, even poop! I'm positive your teachers think I am plum crazy and hallucinate things, or am extremely dramatic, which may be true a little BUT not on this whole potty training thing - at all - ask Daddy (or Miss Leigh or Miss EP who saw/heard the stress it caused!). Anyway, so, yeah, it's been two full weeks since you went to school and, drum roll please..... NOT A SINGLE ACCIDENT!!! At school, at home, anywhere. It's like you've been potty trained for 2 years. Okay - actually, let me back up... So you sort of had 1 accident, but that was COMPLETELY my fault. So you went the whole week of school and home with no accidents (and yes, this includes at nap/night time as you do not even wear a diaper then!!) So Saturday, we went to Chloe's birthday party at Pee-a-boo Playtown. You were having so much fun running around, playing with all the kiddos and fun stuff to dress up as/play with, and I kept my eye on you because I knew I would have to remind you about the potty; however, I failed... Just as I was bragging to Miss Auburn about how you had not had ANY accidents (seriously, like I literally was just telling her this...) I looked down to see you holding it like you needed to go potty. So (here comes the mistake #1), I asked you "Do you want to go potty?" to which you replied "No". So I let you keep playing. And then I asked again, because it was clear you needed to go, but you insisted (while running around like crazy) that you did not need to. Finally I realized my mistake (i.e. never ask, just take), so I stopped you in the middle of the chaos and said "Let's go to the potty". Well, you threw one heck of a fit, legs flying and all, and (here comes mistake #2) because I was a bit embarrassed by your reaction, I just let you keep playing. Let me tell you what's more embarrassing than a 2 year old throwing a small tantrum about having to go to the potty - that 2 year old walking up to you (while talking to parents about how well you've done with this potty training) with completely soaking wet pants saying "I need to go potty now". Lesson learned. Lesson learned. That's why I take complete ownership of your one accident. Thankfully, I had brought extra pants so we were able to clean you up and get you back out there, but the damage was done, I was proven wrong yet again by you!!!! BUT, aside from that one minor incident, there have literally been no other accidents. None of us can believe it. Mimi came up last weekend and witnessed it and still can't believe it. You even had a little case of a 'tummy ache' and were able to achieve perfection that entire day, although I'm pretty sure you set a record for the number of time you went potty. Oh, that's another thing, member how you would go twice a day, now it's pretty much twice an hour. But you go, half the time you don't even tell us until after you are done, but you go! We are soooo proud of you! I can't even begin to explain. If I had known it was only going to be 3 days of, well, no fun, then I would not have complained so much because you are absolutely perfect now with this. You've even got public restrooms mastered (aside from Costcos where you just decided to hold it!) and like I said, go to sleep in big girl panties and wake up dry! I just can't believe it myself, but I should - I really should. You surprise us all the time and when you want to do something, you do it, on your terms, of course! Yay baby girl, I mean BIG GIRL! SOOOO proud!!!!!! I love you!!

PS - I think I'll go have myself a cry now. Where has my baby gone? Now that it's official that you are 100% potty trained, I don't know if there is any 'baby' left in you. I'm so proud, so proud, but you will always be my baby girl!!!

No comments: