Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Dentist

Dear Abigail,
I just wanted to tell you about your first visit to the dentist. I can't remember exactly when it was, I think last week maybe, or the week before, but that's not the point. The point is that you, my awesome 29 month old baby girl, were AWESOME!! I shouldn't be too surprised, though, as you do really well with brushing your teeth. You insist upon putting the toothpaste on the toothbrush yourself, and then you take a turn at brushing your teeth. Sometimes you get a bit distracted, but sometimes you go to town on those teeth! After you get a go, Mommy (or Daddy) get their go, and you open your mouth wide while we brush and brush 'all that candy out'. Then you say 'EEEEEEEE" and we get the front of those teeth. After spitting you, again, insist on brushing your tongue yourself, as well as putting more water on your toothbrush. Then we're done - such an ease free process compared to the horror stories I've heard from other parents. SO... I say all this to say that yes, I wasn't too surprised with your awesomeness at your first dentist appointment; however, you just never know. I don't mind brushing my teeth but I sure don't like going to the dentist!!!
So we got to the dentist, which PS is totally designed for children, including a TV playing Toy Story right above where you lay your head!!! The nurses were fantastic and let you see all the 'tools' used in your mouth and you just laid quietly, mouth wide open, for the nurse to clean them THEN floss them. Oh, at the beginning the nurse asked me which flavor of toothpaste you'd prefer and the choices were limited, including chocolate, marshmallow, and other sweet ones. I asked if she had any Cheeto flavored paste but she said no, so we went with a fruit, strawberry. I figured this wouldn't go over too well with you, as you really really don't like those sweet tastes, but at least you DO heart your strawberries. You did good at first, but then you got a little on the back of your tongue and started gagging, but after a little water (and the nurse wiping it off) you were right back down with your mouth wide open!! After brushing the dentist came in to examine you. Again, perfect. He counted your teeth and you have 20!! yowzers! And, drumroll please........ NO CAVITIES!! woo-hoo!!! The dentist office was so impressed with you, as was your momma! You got to pick a prize, got a new T-shirt AND got a new toothbrush with Belle on it!!!! You were super pleased! I hope the awesome trips to the dentist continue love!

No comments: