Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chicken Pox

Dear Abigail, oh baby, I am so sorry. I don't know who did it to you, but I will personally put him in timeout if I ever find him!! So here's your story... Life was going along normally last week, then Tuesday morning, you woke up with a bump on your eye. To me, it looked like an ole bug had bitten you, right on your eyebrow. It was pretty red already, and made mommy a little nervous, but what could I have done at that point, right... So, Tuesday afternoon, Ms. Lee pointed out that she had seen a couple spots on your tush, but thought it might be the beginning of a diaper rash, so we just planned on watching it. Well, Wednesday morning, you still had that little bump, as seen here:
But then when I got home that afternoon, Ms. Lee said she saw a couple more spots on your back. My first thoughts were that dern rash that you had on SAturday was striking again! I called your doctor, just to be sure and while I was awaiting her phone call back, Mimi informed me that it was the chicken pox!!! and that was just from me describing it to her over the phone. I thought, no way, Mimi's overreacting (she has a tendency to be a wee bit dramatic, but we love her all the same), but then the doc called back, asked me to take your temp, and the 102 confirmed it for sure - you had the pox!!!! Here's a few pics that first night of realizing you had them (Wednesday night):


So Thursday morning we went to the doctor to confirm, and well, they were not too thrilled to see us. Very nice, just rushed us back to the back and shut us in the back room. Ms. Nurse didn't even weigh you! The doc said yep, it's the pox and to keep you away from anyone for 5 days! UH OH!! I informed her you were quite the social bug, and she immediately had me call all the parents to warn them. Maybe you don't remember, but you can read your previous blog if you need a recap - to sum it up, we very well could have infected Ellie, Jacob, Ryan, itty bitty Cater Ann and about 5+ other kiddos at the bbq on Saturday night. Mommy is still waiting anxiously to hear about one of them running a fever... So Thursday and Friday were kind of rough for Mommy. More pox started showing up, and it was clear you weren't feeling good. You knew to scratch your head, but that was about it. I had to cut your nails really short, which i'm not good at in the first place, so that made me a little on the edge! Here's some pics from Thursday, as you can see, they are getting progressively worse...



We bathed you in the oatmeal, and that seemed to help you a lot. But Thursday night you had a real bad night. For some reason, you woke up at 12:30 and did not go back to sleep until after 2:30. I don't know exactly because I had given up on the clock. I do know that you ended up falling asleep in your stroller, old school style. You were just feeling awful. You started running a real high fever on Friday and that just worried me to death. Thankfully, Mimi came up on Saturday. She was shocked, to say the least! And I was exhausted. You were super cranky, understandably so, and I could not get that fever down. You weren't taking your normal good naps, and it was just not good news. Saturday came and went, but Mimi did teach you a song. Row Row Row your boat - you do it - well you say Row Row Row!! Of course, the second I got the video camera out you wouldn't do it, but whatever, you were sick so I let it go. Oh, and I also let you watch lots of Elmo, and Mimi loves for you to watch Sid the science Kid. Once again because you were sick!! Here are a few pics from Friday and Saturday
Friday:



And then the worse day... Saturday:




Sunday we finally started seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. You started acting, eating, and feeling a lot better. You still looked rough, but no new pox! That was exciting. Now, we're just on the downhill slope. Mimi stayed all day Sunday and Monday, so that helped too. By Monday, you were acting like nothing was the matter, but bless your heart, those silly pox were still all over you. I think we've made it through the rough part baby girl, and besides a couple sleepless nights, a couple tears, a couple worried parents and grandparents, not too bad, not too bad at all - HA!!! I am hoping all our friends don't get it. Two silver linings though, at least we can go play with them, and at least you don't have to get a shot now!!! I'm still going to punish that person who gave it to you!!! I love you, and mommy and daddy and mimi and Ms. Lee are all taking real good care of you while you don't feel your best and we're trying our best not get let you have any scares, well, maybe one on your tush or something, just to be cute :) Hope you feel better soon, i'll keep you posted on the gang and if they get anything - we should know within the next couple days... LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU POXY LADY!

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Oh poor, sweet baby! I thought babies got "mild" cases... that doesn't look very mild! And shhh, but I've never had them or Jay... What are the odds of that?