Monday, August 17, 2009

John Michael's shower (or well, the shower in honor of him...)

Dear Abigail,
We are so excited we are finally getting a little boy in our family. It has been VERY long, 17 years to be specific, and this weekend, we went to Munford and showered him with presents, or at least Aunt Gina. We left after Mommy got off work on Wednesday, which never seems like a good idea, but Mommy always insists it will be fine. One day I will learn... maybe it's that I am just so anxious for you to see your grandparents. You stayed awake the whole car ride, and we listened to your CD over and over again. Mommy is counting down the days I can turn you around and you'll be able to face forward (and more importantly, face the tv that will have elmo movies playing for the 2 hours and 45 minutes it takes me to get from one door to the next!)... Anyway, you didn't start fussing till the end, understandably so, and mommy's stubbornness was keeping us from pulling over, but finally I did, and we danced around the car (to your cd of course) for about 5 minutes. that was enough to get you past the last 25 minutes of the trip. We went straight to Papa Rob & Gramma's house this time. I could tell Mimi was a little hurt, but she JUST had you all weekend AND she's getting your next weekend, but she does love you a lot, and we did go over there first thing that next morning. Anyway, so when we got to Papa Rob's, he could not believe how much you were walking. He just stood and stared at you. And you did the same to him. You were checking him out, and he knew to give you some time. It paid off, b/c shortly after arriving, you were everywhere with him. And you were talking to him up a storm. Man, when you start saying words, mommy is going to have some competition for the floor, to say the least. Gramma didn't get home till after you went to bed, but you better believe she was waiting outside the door the next morning. and she didn't have to wait long - you woke up at 5:45!!!! NEVER have you done that - ever. Why don't you do that when it's Daddy's turn, sweetie??? I will say, I think it was partially my fault. I, somehow, only came home with one paci, and that one paci disappeared at 5:45. I was on my hands and knees searching for that thing while you cried, half awake, half asleep. Never ended up finding it, but I did get you to lay in the bed with me for about 20+ minutes. You never went back to sleep, but it was nice to cuddle with you. Usually you get in teh bed and you immediately want to start playing (i.e. running back and forth from front to end until you fall off and bump your head, just like those monkeys mommy sings about - it's true...) anyway... After an excellent breakfast by gramma (healthy pancakes) we were off to see Mimi. We spent all day getting stuff together for the shower including visiting mammaws and going to the grocery store. and Clara Lee went with us too! It's hard taking care of two babies... I don't know how Mimi does it. Thursday afternoon we went back to Papa Robs and this is when you began your clingy stage, which still hasn't completely faded from the long weekend. You wouldn't even let Gramma give you a bath - you love baths, you couldn't care less who gives it to you... Anyway, that was a sign of what was to come. The next morning, you and Clara Lee and Emily went to get your pictures taken by Mr. Phil. Oh boy... I'm not going to blog about what happened, because then it's on record, but I will say this in regards to Aunt Ash-ash... What comes around goes around... or whatever the phrase is. Mr. Phil saw a whole new side of you - that is, the clingy side. You would not let Mommy leave your side. I have no idea how the man is going to pull off a good picture. All I do know is that it was 8:30 when we were done, and I could have used a big bottle of Yellow Tail. So, we will just be patient and see what happens. Friday afternoon we spent the day at Mimi's again getting stuff for the shower. You did good with Clara Lee and Jack was there too, a big ole nursery! You and Jack had so much fun. He calls you "Abby-gale" which, is your name, after all. Friday night, Mommy was just going to run up and grab Mexican with Sarah, but we all know how Sarah gets the mamma jamma margarita so by the time I got home you were exhausted and Mimi said you could just spend the night with her. I put you to bed, with no problem i might add, and went to Papa Rob's to get a good night sleep. We had a big day on Saturday...
Oh my goodness did you girls look cute at the shower in your matching dresses. Mimi had been saving those and this was the perfect occasion. I was a little worried you weren't going to get to wear yours because you slept through the first hour+ of the shower. I even had to come wake you up b/c i wasn't going to let Clara Lee get all teh attention, I mean I wanted everyone to see your pretty dress... Once I woke you up, the party began! You had so much fun playing with all the kiddos and then Aunt Gina opened up a present and it was a monkey just like your monkey! Mimi had to go get yours out of hte car because you wouldn't put John Michael's down. AFter the party, you took a long nap and then Mommy got to go party it up with Sarah (that's code for eat and fall asleep watching a movie). You stayed with Mimi and played bubbles and rode in your toy car. Sunday me, you and Lynnie went swimming at Mammaws. You were such a good sport at Mammaws. They both were amazed at how much you were walking and talking. Oh, Mimi had a new nickname for you - Walkie talkie. You just walk around blabbing about whatever... All in all, LONG LONG LONG weekend, yet again, but yet again, you had a blast with all your family. The ride home was my favorite part though - you slept the entire way home - ENTIRE. Wha????? yeah, entire way home. Okay, I'll post pics when I get a second. Love you lots. You are getting so good about giving kisses. And mimi taught you to run to her for kisses, which mommy and daddy make you do to us now!!! Love you baby girl. We're getting really excited about your birthday!!!!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I think maybe it was a combination of my Gianormous margarita and your inability to tell a story less than 45 minutes long that made Mexican take forever. Oh, and the fact our waiter left us there forever. But I enjoy the 45 minute stories (because of the gianormous margarita!)