Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Fair


Dear Abigail,
Let me start off by saying Mommy HEARTS the fair - every part of it. I always have, and I'm pretty sure I always will. I have some of my favorite memories with some of my favorite people at the fair, and, again, I'm positive this will continue for years and years to come. When Mommy was in school, the fair was so special that my school let us have an actual day off to go - and it was even called "Fair Day!!!" I'm not sure they do that anymore, and when I got to high school they definitely didn't allow it, but that sure didn't stop us from going! Don't tell anyone, but a big group of us skipped school and headed to the Mid South Fair, a couple times - now, let me say a couple things - 1) Mimi knew about it and 2) it was always during Homecoming week, where we weren't doing much anyway - SO, we weren't that bad!! Anyway, as I said I l-o-v-e the fair. The food, the rides, the games - all of it. So, when I heard the Williamson County Fair was in town, and then heard it was just down the street from us, well, we HAD to go. I knew it would be a little different, as the "Mid South" is a little bit bigger than Williamson County, but I was still excited. So, on Sunday, to the Fair we headed!
We knew it was going to be hot, as it's August, it's in the middle of the day on Sunday and it's the fair, so it was no surprise we were all soaking with sweat, but what was a surprise was that I couldn't even think about eating the fair food! I know, right! Well, the first ride we got, which I had never seen at the MSF was a golf cart took us from our parking spot right up to the entrance! Yeah for Williamson County - oh, and it was free parking, another first!!!!
Once we got in, we headed straight for the Little One's Farm, because we had heard good things about it. But, Mommy was keeping her eyes on those big thrill rides - I wanted to ride them sooo bad, but decided this day was about you, not Mommy reliving her youth!!!
You absolutely loved the Little One's Farm. See, you got to be a farmer, where you started off by getting some corn, then feeding chickens, and, well, how about I just let the pictures tell the story...
So here's you getting the corn...
And then you fed the chickens...
And then you had to pick your apples from the orchid...

Then, of course, you had to shear the sheep, which you really enjoyed...
And then you had to plant some of those corn seeds, and then pick your other veggies from the garden...
Then it was time to feed your cow!

And then milk the cow!!!!

Finally, you headed to the farmers market to sell your eggs and veggies and milk...
And then you earned enough money to buy something in the store, where you bought an apple, of course!

After you farmed it up, we headed inside (YES, air conditioner) to see Mr. Zipperman the Conductor, or something like that. I can't remember his name at all actually, but I think it sounds kind of like that. And, he was a train conductor for sure. Anyway, he sang songs and everyone danced along. You danced a little, but you were more interested in just running around. Every now and then you'd do the dance moves Mr. Zipperman was singing about, but for the most part, we just enjoyed the cool air!
After the show, we ventured back outdoors to play a few games and maybe ride a few rides! You played your first game where you got to pick a duck out of the pond and depending on the number on the bottom of the duck, that's what prize you got. So, you studied the ducks hard, kept pointing saying "This one" and I'd say "you want this one?" and you'd shake your head and say "This one!" and point at another. This continued multiple times but finally you picked one and you won a cow!!! You were so proud of your cow and carried it for the rest of the day.
Next we headed for the rides!!! It took us awhile to actually find a ride that you were tall enough for but finally we found the bear ride... When you saw it, you were so excited about riding it. I was a little hesitant but decided not to judge the ride based on the operator, if you know what I mean. So off you ran to get on! You tried to climb right up in there all by yourself and after a little assistant, you were ready. But then the ride started, and, well, you weren't too happy. Thankfully you were the only one on the ride, so the operator was nice enough to stop it immediately and let you off - and, he even tried to give us the tickets back but we told him nah, keep them. Nice guy - don't judge a book by it's cover Abs. Anyway... here you are riding around the honey jar, or whatever it is...

And then here's you as you came back around, not too happy...
Pretty much after this we decided to wrap up the fair. I see many more fair trips coming our way though, just got to get you into those thrill rides!!!! Love you puddin'.

No comments: