Sunday, August 15, 2010

Potty Training


Dear Abigail,
On Thursday, it began... Potty Training that is. Mommy has been very excited about 'training you to potty' because you were SO ready. I won't get into the details, but based on the books/article/people's thoughts, every sign lead back to training. So, I finally found a Thursday - Sunday where we had nothing planned. That, my darling, was the first hard part of the whole training deal! So, we talked and talked and talked about what goes where and how no more diapers for Abby and how we get stickers when we put stuff in certain places and how baby does it and all that - all leading up to Thursday. Well, Thursday came, and it began. You started off strong, and by strong, I mean that after one time of not making it to the potty, you made it the next couple of times. But then, you figured out how to avoid it all together, by just holding it. And so you did - for hours. and hours. and days. It was crazy. You have more will power than your momma, and clearly you get your stubbornness from me, too! At one point, it had been 6 and 1/2 hours since anything happened, and that's with you drinking LOTS of liquids. You fight and fight and fight and do quite the funny dance, but it still makes Mommy sad because I know it's hurting you. Sometimes you make it - sometimes you don't, but you always know you should have. Ugh... this was supposed to go better than this. The good news is you indeed know what's going on, and what should go where, and that you should be doing it, but you just don't want to, so you just wait and wait and wait until you have no other choice... Oh, how I hope your school has better luck this week. The whole week/weekend was kind of a blur, as we really did sit at home the entire time (okay, fine, I ran out to get dinner on Friday night), but that was still 45 hours of me and you sitting in the house, not even going outside! That's a first - I'm not even sure we did that when you were a brand new baby! At one point, I was about to lose my mind so I scrummaged through the kitchen to see what we could bake, and guess what came to me... Doo-doo cookies! Yes, I know that sounds ridiculously disgusting, but, seriously, that is what we call these cookies, which by the way, are Mommy's absolute all time fave cookie. So, we baked (or actually, we didn't really 'bake' as these are officially called "No Bake Cookies", but nonetheless, we baked...)
Here's you posing, and at the same time trying to sneak some of the oats...

You helped pour the cocoa in the pot, and even helped stir it...
And of course you were very pleased with the outcome...
And even tried sneaking a bite before it cooled off!
Believe it or not, you did actually eat a bite or two of these (member, you still take after your daddy and aren't a huge fan of sweets) and you constantly kept saying "More cho-KA-la please" - which is "more chocolate please" in Abby language!! I think you just liked saying that word though...
Well, boog, it was a LONG LONG weekend, and I think we're all worn out from this whole learning process. I can't say that you are officially 'trained' but you know you are big girl and you know what big girls are supposed to do. Let's hope Miss Brittney and Miss Sabrina help Mommy out a little bit... PLEASE!
Keep trying, baby girl, or should I say Big Girl!!!! It will all work out...

No comments: