Thursday, July 21, 2011

Conversations with Abby

Dear Abigail,
I try to jot down in my little handy dandy notebook different conversations we have with each other. Most of the time they are pretty funny, and a lot of the time pretty impressive. It just shows me that A) you are so smart and B) man alive, are you growing up! Anyway, here are a few of my faves over the last couple months...

At 5 a.m. one morning (yes, FIVE A. M.), you had crawled into our bed and after me begging you relentlessly to go back to sleep, you popped up and said "Hey, I have an idea. Why don't we watch THE MONSTERS. Hey Mom, do you like Monsters? I like Monsters. Do you Mom. That's a great idea?". Keep in mind, all this was said in about 2.3 seconds in a super high sweet voice. Mommy and Daddy couldn't do anything but laugh. And then we turned the 'monsters' on. PS - the 'monsters' apparently is Sesame Street.

We were looking at our new house and upon leaving, you did NOT want to get buckled up in your car seat. So, I said, kind of in passing but also a little bit of meaning it, "I need to find a policeman to tell you that you always must be buckled up." To which you responded with in a super sad, sad voice "I don't think that's a great idea" . Of course, Mommy and Daddy laughed, to which you responded in a more angry voice "I don't think that is very funny". We couldn't help it - we laughed. A lot. And you cried because we were laughing at you. To say the least, all I have to do is mention that police officer and you get in your car seat!

AC: We don't say stupid.
Mommy: Then don't say it.
AC: Okay. But we don't say stupid.
Mommy: Then quit saying it.
This conversation happens A LOT. Like for reals, a LOT. Your clever like that though, because you know you are not supposed to say it, but you've figured out a way to say it without really 'saying' it - if you know what I mean. And, to further the enjoyment of saying the word "stupid" (to which I'll never understand why...) your latest and greatest trick is to bury your face in your hands, lower your head and whisper "stupid". And this is out of no where. And so when I say "what did you say", you respond with "Nuphin". So now I'm dealing with a foul mouth AND a lying mouth. Not sure how to respond to that. I've caught you lying a couple times and each time I try to explain what lying is but it never comes out right. I may have to seek a book on that one...

You: I really, really, really, (insert just about anything here).
You have decided to add 'really, really, really' to pretty much everything. You really, really, really need to watch a little tv. You really, really, really like apple juice and water. You really, really, really think your tummy will hurt in your bed. Which leads us to the next conversation...

As we're walking up the stairs to go to bed you tell me that "My belly will hurt if I go in my room". Seriously??? Like for real? What am I going to do. And you don't just say it either - you play it out. You hold your belly and start whining as we're walking in your room. If we walk out, you literally say "see, it doesn't hurt now". O. M. G.

Also, and this one cracked me up, you told me just the other night when trying to get you to go to sleep "Baby Kate's belly says she need to watch a little t.v.". PS - Baby kate is NOT your sister Kate. Baby Kate is your baby you sleep with, the one that does NOT make a noise, especially her stomach. But somehow you heard it say "I need a little t.v." You even had me listen...

What am I going to do with you missy!!!! Your Daddy is hopeless, too. He tells me on a daily basis that he's going to have trouble disciplining you because you are so darn cute. We love you all the same :)

No comments: