Monday, September 10, 2012

Happy 4th Birthday!!

Dear Abigail, 
Wow.  You are 4.  Four years old.  Believe it or not, Mommy is at a lost for words.  I keep typing things out then deleting, typing, then deleting.  I can't get out what I want to say in an eloquent way but the bottom line is this, Abigail, you have been in my life for four years and every, single day with you in it has put a smile on my face.  As Ash-ash says, you march to the beat of your own drum.  You are Miss Independent and I love it.  You are so confident in yourself, so sure of who you are and what you can do, and no one stops you, trust me, I've tried.  You know when you are right because you are persistent in telling me and you also know when you are wrong because, you, also, are persistent in telling me, usually after the fact.  You are friendly to everyone and offer your beautiful smile to anyone who looks your way.  And speaking of, man alive you are one beautiful girl.  You are no longer a baby and I have no doubt you will continue to be a beautiful young girl.  You LOVE to dance, like love it.  Like "you dance when no music is playing" kind of love to dance.  You also love your little sister.  I know there will be times in the future when you may not believe it, but when she steps in the room, your face lights up and all attention goes to Kate.  You love to 'wake her up' when she wakes up from naps by jumping in the crib with her and you are right there with Mommy and Daddy trying to get her to walk on her own.  You scream out "Mommy, I think she's going to do it this time" all day long.  You  are such a good big sister.  
I cannot get over how smart you are, either.  It impresses me every day, little stuff, big stuff.  Constantly Daddy and I look at each other and think "Holy Cow is she for real only 4."  If you are this smart now and can figure out my tricks now, what will you be like in 5 years, 10 years?!!  Let's see, at 4, you love to play games, but also love playing with your babies.  You often pack up your babies and everything else you can fit and 'head to the beach.'  Quite the imagination.  
I'm sure I am leaving things out, but overall, you are one ridiculously sweet baby girl who's not really a baby anymore but will always be my baby girl!!!!  
And boy did we celebrate this big birthday.
Things started off a bit, well, messy.  On Tuesday, the day before your birthday, you went to school.  However, Daddy stayed home from work because he got sick to his stomach the night before.  I wrote it up as 'something he ate' after most of the day passed and no one else got it.  I picked you up from school at 1 and quickly came home and fed Kate some lunch while I got you ready for gymnastics.  Well, you decided you needed to cut Kate's food up a little bit more and as I had my back turned, ended up cutting Kate's finger, pretty bad.  Kate screamed about the same time you screamed (because you knew you did something very bad) and all I could see was blood everywhere.  I panicked a little but realized it was just her finger (and not her mouth which I first thought).  It took a good bit of time, and we were late for gymnastics, but I did get it to stop bleeding, and you to quit crying.  You at first told me that she picked up the knife but by the end of the car ride to gymnastics you had confessed that you handed her the knife.  Although when I told Mimi that "Abby cut Kate with a knife" you got VERY mad at me and started crying and saying that she grabbed it.  You were very sad that you hurt your sister and told everyone at gymnastics that I was taking her to the doctor.  Really we went to Costco, but not for long because I got a phone call from gymnastics saying that you threw up, twice.  So it looks like it was a stomach bug making its way through our house.  Ugh and with your birthday the very next day AND your birthday party on Saturday, this is so not what we need!!
I got you home and cleaned up and had to put Kate down for her afternoon nap.  While I was in her room I thought I heard water running upstairs but wasn't sure.  When I came out of Kate's room you were sitting on the playroom steps and said "I threw up in the sink but I cleaned it up and washed my mouth out."  Well, aren't you something.  You handle throwing up better than your Daddy!!!  You clearly were not feeling well so I put you in Mimi's bed (after cleaning you up a little bit better) and eventually you fell asleep.  Well, around 5ish I heard you crying and ran upstairs to see you in the bathroom.  Unfortunately while you were sleeping that stinkin' bug got you again.  This time it took a bit longer to clean you up, but once we did, things were looking brighter.  Daddy was feeling better and you were feeling a little better.  I thought all was well, but that night that bug got you one last time before your birthday, this time in your bed!! I feel like I washed and cloroxed a million different rooms that day.  BUT, good news was A) you got to sleep in Mommy's bed and B) that was it!  You woke up on your birthday feeling brand new and ready to roll!!!  
On Tuesday, I had mentioned that the birthday fairy may visit you tonight and bring you something special - I was kind of just kidding but had intentions of putting balloons in your room so when you woke up you'd be surrounded by pretty balloons.  Well you freaked out at the thought of a 'fairy' visiting your room so I immediately said that I was the fairy and I was just going to have a surprise for you.  So, as I said, your bed was thrown up on and you got to sleep in our bed so that next morning I put 2 balloons on your pillow.  I was already awake in the kitchen when you woke up, but Daddy said you got really scared and wasn't convinced that I put them there!!!  You and your fears.  But, thankfully a couple birthday presents cheered you up!  



Katie Bug got you these fancy dancing shoes for you!!!


And yes, you got an ipod.  You call it a phone, and have told everyone that you got a phone and I quickly have to respond with "No, I did not get a 4 year old a phone."  Then I mumble "but I did get her an ipod."  You LOVE listening to music, love it, and now you don't have to use Mommy's or Daddy's phone to listen to it.  I recognize it's a little much, but we have strict rules with where the "phone" goes, although you worry about it like it's a pet.  When I said you could not take it to school you said "but who's going to make sure it doesn't get lost."  So far it's been safe and hasn't gotten lost :)
After your excitement over your birthday presents, Mommy fixed you a birthday breakfast which included chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream and sprinkles, a side of fruit and chocolate milk to drink.  Yummmm!!!  Except you made me take the whip cream off, and then only took a couple bites.  I think that bug made your stomach hold back for a few hours...

After breakfast, we headed to the Y where you enjoyed telling everyone it was your birthday.  We got cleaned up and after Kate woke from her morning nap we headed to your fave, Chick-fil-a!  Again, you were super pumped and told everyone, like EVERYONE, it was your birthday, and often through that 'I got a phone' comment in, too.  This one sweet, sweet lady at CFA even sang Happy Birthday to you and you just grinned, ear to ear.  She told us to come back in 2 weeks and she's sing for Kate's birthday, too!!
After CFA, you got to pick out a cover for your 'phone' and settled on none other than pink - bright pink at that.  You came close to a purple and black sparkly zebra print but Mommy was able to walk you out of that one :)
Soon enough we headed home, but just in time to get ready for a big birthday dinner!!! Mommy and Daddy took you and Ellie to your first Japanese Steakhouse experience!
Mommy dropped Kate off at Aunt Steph's and we picked up Ellie.  I surprised the two of you by making a pit stop at Gigi's Cupcakes so you both could pick out your choice of dessert.  Both of you went running into Gigi's screaming "CHOCOLATE!!!! I WANT CHOCOLATE!!!!"  I'm pretty sure you scared the guy working.  I could barely get the 2 of you to sit still to pose for a picture you were so excited!!

We made it to Shogun and you two were super excited about this fancy place with water, but had no clue what was in store for you.

The chef came to the table and you two were mesmerized.  You loved watching him flip his spatula around and twirl eggs and throw them in his pocket.  You were NOT crazy about the fire and as a matter of fact you asked him not to do it again!  And while it was a little loud at times, you both loved watching him make the food.  AND, you both loved using the chopsticks!  Mommy was the only one at the table who wasn't - I am no good at it.  Both of you loved the japanese salad, which Mommy LOVES, too and you both went crazy on the fried rice, although it didn't look like it from the leftovers we took home!  



One other couple at our table, and older couple celebrating their anniversary and they were quite amused by the two of you.  They have grandkids, so I think that helped :)  
After our delicious meal, we all clapped and then a VERY loud drummer boy came out banging away. It frightened you at first, but then when they started singing you were all smiles! They were actually singing to the anniversary couple but you totally thought it was to you!  We didn't stop you from thinking it, you were so happy.  You even told me that night when I was tucking you in bed that your favorite part of the day was the singing part!  I thought it would be this part...

You and Ellie tried using your chopsticks to eat the HUGE cupcakes, but you clearly saw the issue with this and went at it with your hands!  
After we dropped Ellie off and picked your sister up, and got soaked doing so, we headed home and got snuggled in bed.  You came downstairs about an hour later and said in a very sad voice "Mommy, since it's my birthday can I sleep in your bed tonight?"  Well, how could I say no to that request?!!! So off to Mommy's bed you went!  I will say though, you are doing fantastic otherwise with your bed.  Sleeping every night, all night long - I'm so proud of my 4 year old!!!  Ahhhhh!!!  You are 4 years old?!  What a great 4 years and what a great birthday day you had!! Happy Birthday Abigail Faye Clark!!! Love you to the moon and back!

No comments: