Thursday, May 7, 2009

Crying it out...

Oh dear Abby - I stressed and stressed about the whole crying out method. You see, you have been a little trouble getting to sleep lately, especially on your dear ole mom. For the last, well, 8 months basically, we have been letting you fall asleep in our arms before laying you in the crib. I know, I know, it's not what we should be doing, but whatever, it is what it is. But, I finally realized that it was wearing me out, and not good for you either. SO, i talked and talked and talked about letting you cry it out, and finally we did it. Daddy wanted to do the 'go in every 5 minutes, then 8 minutes, then 10 minutes" method, but I said let's just go hog wild and don't go in at all. He was very hesitant. And Mimi was sick at her stomach on Sunday night, the night it was to take place. Well, Mommy started your routine of putting your jammies on, dimming the light, giving you your nighttime bottle, then we read, sang a song, did the blinds, dimmed the lights adn you were wide awake. I was nervous. I kissed you goodnight and turned your ceiling glow thingy on and laid you in the bed. Daddy and I eagerly watched you from the monitor and waited (with a bottle of wine, i might add) for you to cry and cry and cry. Crazy as this world is, you went right to sleep. No tears. NONE. ZILCH! it was bizarre. So the next night, I sent Daddy to do the dirty work. You gave him a little trouble with feeding, but not too bad at all, then he went through the routine and laid you down. Unfortunately, you weren't too crazy about it that night BUT you only cried for 5 minutes, TOPS! and then, bam, you fell asleep on your belly and didn't wake up till morning!! It's been 3 more nights since then, and you haven't cried at all. Mommy and Daddy have been worrying AND rocking you for no reason! You are such an awesome baby Abigail - thanks for making parenting so easy for us (at least for now...) You are officially a baby who can put herself to sleep. Now we just need to work on naptime!!! love you so much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so, so glad she is going to sleep on her own. That is the one piece of valuable advice that I can give to any new mother. I say after about 3-4 weeks- no more rocking to sleep!

Can't wait for Abby and Recey to be able to play together!
Amanda